lördag 5 november 2011

Lentil Stew to Soothe the Soul

 

















     



My little family took a little trip across the pond, and my writing came to a crashing hault. I miss it here. The place were my creative juices flow, the place where I can share recipes and stories alike. Needless to say, summer came and went and fall is well underway. Guilt has eaten me up and left me feeling those familiar pangs of hunger. I've been hungry to write and hungry to cook, so for those of you hungry for food...here it is.
    
Lentil soup is one of those things that I either really enjoy, or can hardly stomach. I've tried my hand at it a few times, but was left with a bland, colorless bowl of good protein. Today, while trying to use up what I had on hand...I succeeded and exceeded my lentil soup expectations. And just in time for another cold front.


Needs:
2 cups uncooked red lentils
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 small potatoes, washed and cubed
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 can crushed tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
2 bay leaves
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup frozen spinach
3 tbl balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

To Do:
Heat oil in large saucepan, add onion, garlic, carrots and potatos. Cook until onion is soft. Add spices and lentils, stir well. Add crushed tomatoes, water and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 hour. After stew has simmered, add spinach, vinegar, salt and pepper. Dish up and top with a pile of fresh rocket salad, or other on hand greens.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar